Monday, December 15

Baby, it's cold outside

Hello! First post at the new URL. *happydance* Unfortunately, xamonster.blogspot.com was taken, so I decided to go with piratexa. It's very nice. Also, I didn't realize it but the last post was number 666. See?



Bwa ha ha ha ha. (I also have a PhD in Horribleness.)

Yesterday my mom and I put plastic on the windows, because this week's forecast calls for frigid air. Even my weather widget says it's frigid. Here, let me show you it.



Ice cubes, right? Under the lower left of the yellow box, it says the temperature is a balmy negative 2 degrees ... and the wind chill is 18 below. That's horrible.

Anyway, we decided to do the outside plastic on one window — the one that opens onto the porch — because there weren't enough materials included with the box of inside hair-dryer plastic. We got a cheap-ass kit at the dollar store for the outside. Now when I say cheap-ass, I really mean it: the "mounting strips" are flimsy cardboard. Needless to say, it didn't work. We put the plastic over, and it took forever, and it sucked and didn't even stay there anyway. There was a huge rip in it two hours later and the plastic was flapping in the breeze.

But the inside plastic went up like a charm. There's almost enough to cover the porch window after all; we just need a little more tape. The only thing about having the plastic on the inside is that I have one cat who still has his front claws. This is a bad thing, as evidenced by the popping sound I heard at about 10 last night. I felt the plastic over each window and sure enough, he'd ripped a (thankfully small) hole. So I grabbed the handy dandy white Duck Tape (that's the brand) and slapped some over the tear. I have a sneaking suspicion that my windows will be a patchwork of tape by the end of the winter. I suppose I should get more colors and at least make it festive ...

Conclusions: buy more yarn to insulate the house. Also: knit fast, die warm. See? Everything really does relate to yarn.

No comments: