Friday, May 25

Keep a weather eye on the horizon

I've had an interesting day already: a guy just came into our office asking for a copy of this week's paper and a souvenir program. Sounds plenty normal, except that he was wearing a t-shirt with Mr. Howdy Pilgrim himself on it. Talk about crazies. Also, two flies were just mating on my desk. Ew.




But this is the really good stuff.

I got to see POTC3 last night! There was an 8 p.m. showing here in my hometown (where tickets are $7 instead of $8.75, and you don't have to drive 35 minutes to get there). I went dressed in my "pirate casual" look, as I'm calling it. Jeans and a t-shirt, sure, but with my yarn dreads and knitted tricorn (and a little eyeliner), I thought I looked the part. I went with my parents and my just-graduated brother; the other brother had gone with a big group of friends. The four of us got to sit in the balcony (a first for me), since there weren't enough seats left on the main floor. Sweet, I tell you.

The best part? The movie is almost three hours long. That's almost three hours of Piratey Johnny Depp goodness. I was so happy, let me tell you. (I'd switch teams for Piratey Johnny Depp, that's how happy I was.) I don't know what the best part of the movie was, so I'll give you a little preview.

There's singing and death in the opening scene. Lots of both. I loved it. I thought it was very well done (mostly because I'm a sucker for cheesy stuff like that). There was a point where PJD licked a rock ... and I knew it was going to happen before he did it. Honestly, I think I channel him sometimes.

There were several points throughout the movie where PJD was going a little crazy (er), which resulted in much more of him on the screen than you could ever imagine. (Talk about getting bang for your buck.) Many times during the movie, I thought of the line from the "Jaynestown" episode of Firefly: "This is what going mad must feel like." Lots of PJD everywhere. Mmm.

Speaking of bang, early in the movie, Elizabeth Swann was packing heat. And when I say packing, I most surely mean it.

And so I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the movie ... "Don't move — dropped me brain!" ... and a bit of the song ... "Yo ho, all together ... hoist the colors high ... heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die!"

1 comment:

Sara M said...

MUST SEE IT AGAIN.