Sunday, May 22

Commencement has commenced

I'm wandering aimlessly around my house, deconstructing what's left of my college life and scattering it throughout various rooms. Doing so makes it feel more like ... home? Funny how you can become so used to things after they've changed for the first time, and then you have to come back to the former life after you've changed. It's awkward being here. My parents are off visiting a friend whose wife died this morning -- cancer. I'm debating whether or not to quit for the night. I'm tired in more ways than one.

You know, I didn't cry today. I got very close when we processed after the ceremony through a column formed of profs. I saw MJD and gave her a big hug, and teared up (which I'm managing to do as I write this, incidentally). She's great, and I'll miss her. A lot. I'm glad she's going to NJ; she's got an amazing job ahead of her.

My bed is finally back at my house, after its absence of nearly a year. But I'm sleeping on the couch tonight. My brother wakes up early for school, and I don't want to hear the alarm.

Oh, and my email told me this: On May 22, 1947, the Truman Doctrine was enacted as Congress appropriated military and economic aid for Greece and Turkey.

Goodnight, all. Happy graduation.

No comments: