Sunday, November 4

What makes the muskrat guard his musk?

Courage!

The Wizard of Oz was excellent. My brother is such a cheese ball. (Or a ham, if you're not vegetarian.) My mom and I nearly busted a gut a few times during the performance.

Not all of the hilarity was due to the Lion, though. The special effects were very creative. After all, how would you simulate a cyclone in a stage production? Why, you'd put the house on casters and have two stage ninjas stagehands physically spin it around while Dorothy's inside, of course! How about the fireball the Wicked Witch throws at Scarecrow? Flash paper! And all the smoke when the Witch suddenly appears out of thin air? Fire extinguishers.

The production was great. I loved it. And Chloe makes a fantastic Toto. She's a star.




So Saturday I got up insanely early (6 a.m.? What?!) with the family to do some early shopping at Kohl's. (Our family has this wake-up-early-and-go-shop sort of bug. I think it's contagious.) Well, when we got back to town, I was surprised by a package on my doorstep ...


Look at all these things I get to play with!


Fyberduck sent me mail! You can see three different yarns (one of which I can experiment on with dyeing), stitch markers in the foreground of the orangey hank of yarn, pirate stencils and a pirate car freshener. (It's called Funky Fresh, and the package reads, "Freshly Swabbed Deck Scent!" Seriously.)


I love the stitch markers. I'm starting to have a stitch markers by Fyberduck collection.


I mean really, how cool is that?


She sent me autumn, all fiber-fied!


These are screaming to be socks. I'm pretty sure the orange-purple-red yarn will become Kaylee socks. It just screams "Firefly" to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Fyberduck! I love it and I can't wait to play with it all!




By the way, I did some spinning. Finally, from all that lovely alpaca Fyberduck sent me last year. I have to admit, despite the instructions, I confused myself a little. After I exercised a little Google-fu, I figured out what I was doing differently and changed.

My First Handspun!
Look! An Iowa quarter! How fitting.


Here's another shot so's you can see how varied my spinning was. (I listened to three different Tori Amos discs while spinning, so I'm not surprised terribly.) My next goals are to even out my tension and the spin. I don't think I need all those coily spots.

My first handspun yarn!
32-ish yards of single-ply handspun glory.


I'm so proud. I think I might knit it on very large needles in stockinette so you can see all the differences in spin. Then I'll frame it or something.


What a fun weekend. Hee!

1 comment:

Sara M said...

Yay! You're doing great - just call it "coiled yarn" ;) It's a design element.

(and I'm glad you like the package, too :D)

Love the new blog layout, btw. Too cool!