Tuesday, August 28

Free kittens for sale. Price: free!

After a phone call and a whirlwind cleaning spree on Friday, I managed to send a kitten home with a member of a certain Republican's* local campaign office. All of the people who work in the office were reportedly "very excited" about the prospects of an office cat.

And then Saturday rolled around. I decided to take my chances at the Farmer's Market on the square. I packed up the remaining three kittens, three separate baggies of food, a little cash, and my winning smile and paraded around the market for about an hour. Just after I had purchased a delightful jar of raspberry creamed honey from a local honey farmer, I was stopped by an older woman. "Free kittens? Let me see," she demanded. We extracted the grey kitten from the carrier, and a moment later she was holding a baggie of food and heading toward her car. Score!

At any rate, I'm down to two kittens. I think I'm just going to boot them outside and see what happens. They can hang around, but outside should be fine. (I feel a little guilty saying that, because we've had a rash of thunderstorms in the area recently, but I should think they'd be capable of handling themselves.)

My mom and I visited my brother at Iowa State Saturday afternoon. He seems to be doing well, despite some stupid people (or maybe just one stupid person). The problem seems to be severe enough that they're holding an all-dorm meeting. Hopefully this will curtail the bad behavior. Despite the drama, he's taking 19.5 credits in his first semester. Not wishy-washy ones, either — he's taking trig, calculus, chemistry, English, and philosophy.

Anyhow, I've failed at knitting lately. I haven't worked on the Entrelac Market Bag because I'm worried about running out of yarn before I finish the first tier of blocks (I'm halfway around). I haven't worked on socks because I'm lazy. I haven't re-done the bind off on the Eagle's Flight socks because I didn't have scissors with me Sunday. I started a string bag, but the base was too small, so I stopped working on it. I'll probably just rip it and use a different yarn or different needles. Or both.

*I won't name names, but I will say that the last name rhymes with shoe-crispani. (Because that's a common pair of words.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was gonna say – haven't heard much out of you, lately.

Hope all is well down there!