Tuesday, March 13

In which I rant a little

I don't like to complain. (Okay, I lie. I do like to complain, but hate to be perceived as one who constantly does so.) But this whole moving thing seems to be getting a little out of hand.

I liken our move to shoving a tuna, scales and all, into a sardine tin. We're moving from a rather large building to the backside of a rather small one. We're going to be cramming eight computers and their desk space into a space that would otherwise comfortably hold three, maybe four desks.

Meanwhile, the other publication housed in the "new" building continues to encroach on our space, saying they need storage for their inventory. That would be fine; we're moving into the area they used to store it anyway. But their shelving "needs" to accomodate boxes full of reams of paper, which will eat up a good 18 inches on each wall. Granted this isn't the whole room, just a sort of nook off to the left as you go in the adjoining door, but to us it's still precious space where we will have none.

The people heading up this moving operation seem to think that we won't be able to bring a whole lot of stuff over, but they're starting to nix items that we pretty much need in order to function. For example, a big, sturdy layout table (which we use when putting out special sections), and couple of filing cabinets (one of which is rather bulky but could easily hold our printer). Are we only going to be able to bring two desks next?

I'm really not surprised. I'm just cranky about the whole situation. I almost feel like we're descending the steps into hell. Speaking of which, it's already 73 degrees outside. It's a nice day.

In knitting, I've finally finished the Swallowtail Shawl from the fall 06 IK. All that needs to be done is the blocking (and boy does it need it!), so I expect to have photos soon.

Also, I entered a contest over at Sock Pr0n by submitting a couplet to Choka On It. Here's mine:

"Interconnectivity:
Knits the world wide web!


Dorky, but to the point. Maybe I'll win some goodies. I don't often enter blog contests, so this should be fun.

Anyhow, I think the padre and I are going to lunch soon, so I should get a little more work done before we do.

No comments: