Monday, November 6

The FO is out there

Despite waking painfully early (quarter to six) to barking and a strange dream involving sparkles and Elton John, today has been pleasant thsu far. It being before noon, it's hard to say how the rest of the day will turn out, but I think it will go well.

This week will be an exercise (ha!) in me walking to work, as the roommates are driving separately, owing to one staying much later than usual. I'm quite excited, as it allows me to break in my new shoes a little better and to enjoy the fresh and surprisingly mild weather we're having. As I walked in the door at work today, I glanced at the bank clock (the source of all my knowledge) and was rather surprised to see a balmy 49-degree reading. That was a 9 a.m. — I hear today's high is somewhere around 62 degrees.

On Saturday (mostly in order to avoid a possible domestic disturbance) I took a field trip to our public library, as I wanted some off-the-couch knitting time. I chose an overlarge chair in the corner by the periodicals (the quietest place, I have found). The chair has huge arms, which allow for the placement of several magazines or books, a pattern, and a silenced cell phone (in case I need to see the time). I started reading a couple of books, but switched to DIY magazine and Sky & Telescope, had been one of my favorite magazines for years. (Don't ask me why — I can't really understand all of it, but I can usually swallow the first few paragraphs of stories without getting lost in astronomical jargon.)

The project? Glaistig from the most recent edition of ¡The AntiCraft! Amusingly, I worked mine in a lime green shade of Cascade 220, quite similar to the photo in the pattern. While at the library I finished one full chart repeat and, realizing that it was after 3 p.m., headed home.

I wanted to know the meaning and pronunciation of glaistig, so I checked my faithful wiki just now to find this tidbit:
GLASH-tig: The glaistig is a creature from Scottish mythology. In most stories, the creature, is described as a beautiful woman with dusky or gray skin and long blonde hair. Her lower half was that of a goat, usually disguised by a long, flowing green robe or dress.

According to legends, the glaistig could serve in legend as both a malign and benign creature. Some stories have her luring men to her lair via either song or dance, where she would then drink their blood. Other such tales have her casting stones in the path of travellers or throwing them off course.

In other, more benign incarnations, the glaistig is a protector of cattle and herders.


I finished it yesterday morning (well, by finished I mean I'm skipping the band for now). I'm quite pleased with how it looks; the pattern is pretty seamless and well-written. I took a photo this morning, but it walked out the door not long ago, as we needed a free memory card to take photos for the paper. So, photos later.




Seussical, by the by, was brilliant. I went to the opening show on Friday and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I took one Knuck with me and worked on it during intermission, pausing to give a little knitting demo to the woman sitting in front of me. She'd turned turned around and made the usual exclamation at the number of needles I was using (5 DPNs) and said that all she'd ever done was garter stitch dishcloths, so I showed her the wonders of purling and cabling. I think we've got a convert, folks. And more reason for me to think harder about teaching a course on beginning knitting at the Art Center sometime. No real progress on the Knucks, though.

I did not end up going to Valley in WDM to protest the protestors for a production of The Laramie Project. I'm sure you can guess, even without checking the links, who was there. Thought about it, though.

Here's my first finished product with GIMP, just for Fyberduck. (Sorry it looks so ... dorky. I am at work, after all. And new to the program.)

No comments: