Tuesday, November 21

Ducks and beginnings

I have a work-related problem. I can't seem to start any work until I've read a few blogs. It's an addiction, and a scary one at that. Must. Not. Blog.

Failure.




Fyberduck's posted a contest: knitting and ducks. I had a mini photo shoot this morning, until my camera's batteries died.


Ballband dishcloth: purl or die!


In the beginning
Or, the story of how I learned to knit. I can't remember anything terribly clearly; I've been trying to track down my old blogs and websites to see if I can pinpoint a date or month. I just know it was sophomore year at Luther, probably during the fall. It would have been 2002. I don't particularly know what prompted me. I did a little 'net research and somehow managed to find a site (who knows what it was? I just know it wasn't KnittingHelp.com) that had animations for casting on, and making knit stitches.

At first, I didn't understand that, when knitting flat, one must turn and knit back the other direction, putting the emptied left hand needle in the right hand and starting over. Instead, I decided to just knit back across the row. Now I understand that my technique was sort of a modified combination knitting. I imagine the stitches were twisted, but I have since lost track of that first project and cannot recall what it was. It must've been a scarf, though.

Eventually I ran across Stitch n' Bitch at Bookends & Beans, a combination bookstore and coffee shop up in Decorah. I thought it looked like a fun book, so I bought it. I remember reading it the first time, without stick and string in hand, and how everything started to make sense.

I remember being more obsessed during my junior year, and completely drowning in yarn senior year. (Friends can attest to the early stages of the addiction.) At such a rate of growth, I will probably need a large room for yarn and knitting soon.

Prompted by Fyberduck's own story.

No comments: