Thursday, April 13

At peace

My dog is dozing (read: snoring) in a puddle of sunlight on the kitchen floor. More evidence that she is really a cat masquerading as a verysmalldog.

-----


The show last night was great. I love spending quality time with Dustro, especially when it involves music. Before hitting the Ritual Café for coffee and tunes, we had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the combination of chicken and avacado. Yum.

Right. The music. I really liked Erika Luckett (the 'r' in her name is flipped, as in Spanish), who opened for Ellis. It's sort of difficult to describer her sound, though I agree with the description of her latest album, which I found on her website. "Music that sounds like it was born from a weekend adventure with Sting, Annie Lennox, Carlos Santana and Bebel Gilberto." It's fitting. I think my favorite song of hers was "Evangelina".
Evangelina, Evangelina works at a parking garage from 6 until 3
At 3:01 she punches out, walks to the corner, takes the bus that
drives her home. Evangelina wears silk flowers in her hair,
reminds her of a time, reminds her of a place, reminds her of a love that
she left long ago ... Evangelina.

Evangelina, Evangelina has faded pictures of palm trees on her wall.
In the conversation between her heart and mind, she balances what
she found in California and what she left behind.
Evangelina wears silk flowers in her hair,
reminds her of a world
reminds her of shady trees
reminds her of the girl she was when she ran down dusty streets...
Evangelina

Sometimes at night when she looks into the mirror,
she thinks of friends and family, how they used to see her,
how they used to see her.
They’d see her dance in a dress embroidered pink
Now she’s living far away, where she’s got everything,
at least that’s what they think.
Evangelina...

As we were leaving downtown DSM, Dustro commented that when he attends shows like that one, he always feels rather "spiritual" afterward. I have to agree. Maybe not so spiritual as content, but definitely at one with the world. And it's always surprising how much family you can find in Des Mo'. I need to be spending more time at the Ritual. After all, there's a SnB that meets there once in a while ...

-----


I seem to have found my real-life, honest-to-goodness (what does that mean, exactly?) twin whilst reading the Yarn Harlot's latest post. Go there and do a search for "Jessica". She totally looks like I did senior year of high school, sans flowers on the shirt. Wacky.

I have more crafting to get done for the Earth Day swap, so I must get to it. Now if only grandpa would stay out of the hospital for more than a few days, life would be pretty darn good.

No comments: