Sunday, March 19

No stashbusting here

I could not resist temptation. The Princess Bride swap at Craftster wasn't closed yet, and it started calling my name.

-----


I almost had to buy a storeful of yarn yesterday. I was at Hobby Lobby, and their house yarn is called Yarn Bee. They have tons of varieties, and I kind of like it, despite its occasional acrylic and novelty qualities. And it was half price yesterday. So I thought, hey, good time to buy yarn — half price is your friend! My goal was to pick up some funny yarn that looked like hair and make another wig, this time in turquoise or teal.

But then I saw this (Yarn Bee) yarn called Topkapi, a 100% polyamide ribbon yarn that looks like ladders. I thought, "Wow, that's the name of the palace we visited in Istanbul." Then I started looking at the color names. One of them, a yellow-ish yarn, had a name with an undotted i. I started looking at the other colors: Ankara, Istanbul, Dervish, Aya Sofia, Marmara, the list goes on. There were probably twenty different colors. And then my brain backfired. I must have all of these yarns because I was there and saw them in person! It's a sign! So I picked up about five colors and walked into the next aisle. I needed to calm down.

So I picked up three skeins of cotton, a feather-y eyelash yarn, and two sets of DPNs (baleen) in sizes I didn't have (4 and 6). Truly, this was not an exercise in control.

Then I went back to Topkapi and started looking at the colors. My mom finally came to find me in yarn land. (I thought she had disappeared or something, but it turns out that she'd gotten distracted by a rooster-shaped glass thingy that had mangoes and peppers and vinegar in it. She tilted it to look at the price on the bottom and it started to spill, so she had to go clean off her shoe.) I showed her the yarns, and she was pretty excited about the one I found that made me think of her: Tarsus, with pink, olive green, and brown. She then went on an expedition to find matching ones, because she's interested in trying finger knitting.

I started to come off my Turkish yarn high calm down at this point, and picked out three colors: Ankara, which is a powder blue/periwinkle; Marmara, which is a nice bright teal; Izmir, which is dark turquoise. (Now that I look at them, I thought I had picked up one that was Aya Sofia, but that's fine.) I'm thinking of making a lace-y spring-y sort of scarf-y thing.

The feather/eyelash is from Yarn Bee also, and is called Beguile, 100% polyester, in colorway Aegean (you know I can't pass up a name like that), and is gold, cream, and that lovely bright blue/teal color that I've been stuck on. (Um, the very same color that Chloe seemed so stuck on for Project Runway.) The cotton yarn is Omega Sinfonia, 100% mercerized, in two colorways: Matizado Bosque (two skeins of that), which is different hues of green, and Azul Nordico, which is a teal-ish powder blue. The lash is destined for who knows what, and the cotton is going to become socks.

Zib's Flash Your Stash event is coming up April 1, so I'll be showing them off soon enough.

No comments: