Wednesday, August 10

Lost

Lost is the third of Gregory Maguire's books that I've read. I have to say that, although I enjoyed all of them, each one is less and less fascinating than the last. I began with Wicked, continued with Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Lost. I must say that the concept for this book was less rewriting an old fairy tale and more ... standard fiction, I suppose. It is, after all, a book about a writer (Winnie) who is trying to write a book about a writer (Wendy) who is trying to write a book. I'm still a little hesitant to read Mirror Mirror, as it seems to be the classic Snow White story that, like Wicked and Confessions, will likely turn out to be an inside-out fairy tale.

But, I see as I continue surfing Amazon.com, Mr Maguire has written a sequel to Wicked, due out in September. And there's another novel due to be released in September ... written by my favourite author, Neil Gaiman. So I think I'm going to order Son of a Witch and Anansi Boys now. Then at least I'll have some exciting mail come September.

Pair that with the following: our air conditioning has seemingly gone out for the third time this summer, I keep sneezing and hiccoughing, and my dog looks vaguely like a chihuahua. It's certainly turned out to be an odd summer.

No comments: