Monday, July 25

Baaa, humbug

I'm sorry in advance if you have any previous or current attachment to the following animals: chickens, turkeys, pigeons, ducks, mules, draft horses, sheep, and dogs. Right now I'm in a state of unadulterated loathing for them all. Okay, maybe not so much the dogs, since I have a very cute one (who just got her rabies shots updated, hooray) and I'm a little biased toward her. But really, is it necessary to have animal shows? And is it neccessary to take pictures of all of the damn chickens in the county? I think not. Everyone else seems to think so, though.

Last Sunday I spent six (6) hours at a dog show. I took about fifty pictures. Thursday afternoon was spent in the poultry barn – four (4) hours of wing-flapping, hand-pecking fun. (At least I got to hang out with the fair queen while I was there.) Saturday afternoon was by far the worst. I had to be at the fair at 8.30 a.m. on the farthest end of the fairgrounds from where I parked my car so that I could take pictures of mules. For four (4) hours. Followed directly by another two (2) hours of draft horses. During this time I got very sunburnt, even though I was in the shade a good deal of the time. And yesterday, I spent another four (4) hours at the fair (starting at 8 a.m.) taking pictures of uncooperative sheep. I was about to go postal, wondering when my dad would show up to finish the show (he'd told me that he'd come and take over for met at some point), and he finally made it there just before noon. At least I was in the shade the whole time.

Now, if your addition skills are up to par, you'll know that 6+4+6+4=20. Which means I spent 20 hours taking probably more than 200 pictures.

But I'm going to Omaha today with Dustro and his aunt, so that's all in the past.

No comments: