Tuesday, February 10

Sha'n't

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire," said Fred Shero.
"There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun," said Pablo Picasso.

I once made a resolution to stop complaining. It didn't work very well. Resolutions never do. I will, however, comment that someone seems to be singing opera in one of the library's study rooms nearby.

I resolve to not make resolutions. Just thoughtful suggestions to better my life. I sha'n't* hold it against myself if I don't take said suggestions. I will only be slightly disappointed in myself.


*Note: it seems to me that shan't should actually be spelled sha'n't as I spelled it, because I think it's a contraction of shall not. The first apostrophe can take care of the ll and the second takes care of the o. See generally accepted display of such sha'n't usage in Frost's The Pasture.

No comments: