Monday, December 15

Discoveries

I've found out a lot of interesting things this weekend, mostly relating to my naïve roommate [previously mentioned in Nicknames]. The following is a slightly reworded portion of a letter I sent to request a different room. Because I feel uncomfortable discussing things with her, we are sometimes on testy terms. I have a tendency to remain subdued and blend into the background, at which point she thinks I am mad at her. [Which, in a way, is the truth, but I wouldn't admit that to her face.] I might admit it to her, but only when I've moved out. Not worth causing strife until I am far enough away to not be harmed.

We talk about her behind her back, of course, because she thinks she is the Queen of Knowing Everything About Anything. She, in turn, talks about us. I learned today that she thinks I'm manic-depressive [which may be true on some levels, but that's another topic for another day], and that it would be good for me to go be manic-depressive in my own room. Go figure.

Also, her boyfriend seems to bring with him this horrid odor. It smells like sour feet and smoking and booze. Whenever he shows up, our room is permeated with the stench. I only realised this the last time he was here, because the same odor came with him. I wanted to cry. I thought back to last year when I lived with the same girl, and he definitely had that putrid smell then, too. Disgusting.

On a lighter note, I've discovered that knitting is a lot like meditation - it's very repetitive and wonderful, even if you've made a mistake and have to rip out two inches of work. I've been working on a scarf for a friend ... I promised it to her about two years ago. I was crocheting it at the time, but knitting somehow seems to go faster. And I love the yarn, too. It's Lion Brand Homespun and is wonderfully soft. It's not bad to work with, although it tries to come unspun.

All in all things have not been too terrible, except for the naïve roommate and the boy that comes with her. I feel a little bad about leaving the other roommate with Naïve Girl and her myriad miscellany, but I will visit her. Or at least invite her to my new sanctuary.

No comments: