Wednesday, October 4

Socktober-questions

A Socktoberfest questionnaire:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started Knitty's Broadripple about a year ago. I never finished them, but that's when I started.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? I finished my very first pair just last week, so I think they're holding up well.

What would you have done differently? No stripes ... fewer ends to weave in. (Or figure out how to knit the ends in as I go without losing tension.)

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I have enjoyed the Regia I've used. Paton's Lucette was fun and fluffy. I have some Opal and some Trekking that I'm itching to try, as well as a little handspun cotton.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I knit on 5 DPNs, usually. I recently was successful in the 2 socks on 2 circulars (2s2c) method, which I now love.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Short row, please.

How many pairs have you made? Including my first pair, one. And another one sock, plus two half-socks.






My dad got a wild streak this weekend and dyed his greying, dark brown hair a shiny shade of black. And Tuesday morning, he shaved off his beard. He still has the 'stache, but he looks sort of strange. I'm trying to think what character he reminds me of, but I can't place it.

Our water man came in a moment ago and said, "Your mom's got a younger man, now!" and made me laugh. Taking the grey out did make him look younger. It's just a little surprising yet.

No comments: