Friday, May 5

Excuse me, sir

The other day I was at a book / music superstore, and was going to ask someone help me find a book for my dad (which was, confusingly, in the Literature section). Upon approaching the information desk, however, there was a computer where I could try to figure out for myself whether they had the book in stock and where I could locate it. I'm standing there, tapping at the keyboard and clicking around, when I hear someone on the other side of the desk say, "Can I help you, sir?" I, not being a "sir", took no notice, thinking he was talking to someone behind me. But then he spoke a little louder, "Excuse me, sir, can I help you find something?" And I looked up and watched his face go from inquisitive to sheepish to embarrased to walking away from me, muttering, "Sorry." Moments later, another person came over and located the book without once being confused about my gender. Perhaps it was the Colombia jacket? The red cabled newsboy cap?

People are just too funny.

To further prove my point, I was at Chez Target yesterday, perusing a nicely patterned suede pillow. I heard someone calling down the aisle, "Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is?" I turned around and looked confused at her, at which point she said, "Oh, sorry. I thought I saw a nametag," and continued on her way. I was wearing a blue t-shirt, for the record, with Luther College Department of Classical Languages (and a tombstone) blazoned across the back. Since when do Target employees (excuse me: team members) wear blue?

Well, this man who works at Target better go off and do something besides play Flickr Sudoku all afternoon.

No comments: