Monday, October 9

Back from L-town

Lincoln was a lot of fun. Let me count the ways!
  1. I started a scarf when we left home Thursday and finished it Friday morning. It's loosely based on the Child's Rainbow Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, except I cast on fewer stitches and used different materials. I used two skeins of Patons SWS, one Natural Navy and the other Natural Earth, and US 15 rosewood straights (which I recently purchased at Hobby Lobby). Photos whenever I find my camera.

  2. I attended a two-year-old's birthday, and essentially got paid for it. (I didn't work on Friday, but got paid for the time.) He got the newest version of Tickle Me Elmo, which turned out to be much funnier for the adults than for him.

  3. I got to meet nearly every member of my roommate's family: one brother and his girlfriend, one sister and her husband, the other sister and her husband and two sons, her parents, her mom's friend from St. Louis, her mom's parents, and assorted uncles and cousins.

  4. I went to three bars in one night: a karaoke bar, a cowboy bar, and a gay bar. I just want to say that it is beyond wonderful that Nebraska has voted for no more smoking in bars. It was incredibly pleasant to come home not smelling like an ashtray for a change.

  5. I attended my first Catholic mass. Wow.


As for knitting, I made some progress, but not much, on the Snicket socks. I haven't yet finished the cuff. What's interesting is that the Lemony Snicket movie is on our VOD (video on demand) service right now. I started watching it last night but only managed about 15 minutes before falling asleep. (I took some help-you-sleep meds before I saw that it was on.) I'll probably watch it tonight. Or maybe during my lunch hour. The goal? Watch Snicket while knitting Snicket. Simple enough, right?

I got a few new clothing items at an interesting store in Lincoln called Steve & Barry's. Every item in the store cost $6.98. Not even kidding. I got a couple of heavy cotton sweaters and a T-shirt. The shirt has a picture of the Tootsie Pop owl and reads "How many licks?". (The "to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop" is implied.) Ha ha. I love it. I wore it yesterday. My mom laughed.

Speaking of my mom, she's gotten most of my brother, the Mayor of Whoville's costume done for Seussical. He has a top hat covered in lime green and black fur, and a grey suit coat with fur trimmings. (My mom modeled it for me when I went to visit last night, as my brother was nowhere to be found.) I can't wait to see how she makes the cape (for the other brother) look like wings. I will have to share photos.

Oh, and in random news, my aunt, whom we visited on the way home from Lincoln, has planned her Halloween costume already. She works at Goodwill (she's the almost-manager of the store), so she's gathered all of the items from there. Her intention? Scarlet O'Hara a la Carol Burnett. I'm excited to see how it turns out. She's picked out some chair slipcovers that will be perfect, she says, and that look so nice she won't ruin them, as she wants to use them in her dining room. (What a riot!)

No comments: