Friday, December 26

Maracas

This is a true story from a first-hand account of one Ms JL. I bring it to you for all the teachers [or would-be teachers] out there, most especially for the elementary music teachers.

...

Kindergarten. Ms JL was preparing to reveal her wonderful closet of instruments to the eager students. She had a portable bulletin board in front of the cabinet; as she rolled it away, the kids got excited. [And who wouldn't be at the prospect of playing with noisy instruments?] Tambourines, maracas, triangles, wood blocks - very fun and percussive instruments. Ms JL took each instrument one by one and described and demonstrated the correct way to play it. When she got to the maracas, she said, "Make sure you shake it - don't hit them together." [A very good point to remember if you plan on teaching someone to play the maracas.] One spunky little boy retorted, "I'll show you how I play with my maracas." He then spread his legs and started playing with himself. Needless to say, he got in trouble, and Ms JL had a little talk with his mother. She laughed a little, disgusted as she was. All Ms JL had to say was, "Well, he certainly didn't get it from you."

...

Also, I'm very grateful to be back in action here at CM - Upsaid's apparently been having troubles. The last time I tried to log in [Saturday, I think], It wouldn't even go to the main site. Scary thing is, that's not the first time that's happened to me. At any rate, I'm very relieved to be able to post this story - Ms JL related it to me on Monday, and I absolutely had to share it. Take care, and to all the Canadians, happy Boxing Day.

No comments: